Hexagon’s Manufacturing Intelligence division has launched PC-DMIS 2020 R1, the latest edition of its popular measurement software. PC-DMIS 2020 R1 brings new features, capabilities and an enhanced user experience to portable measuring arm operators and those who scan and create point cloud data.
The new feature ‘Guided Portable Execution’ streamlines the creation and execution of contact Auto Features. This takes the guesswork out of measurement manual measurement paths by guiding the user through the measurements, showing where measurement points need to be taken in red and points already captured in green, whilst automatically scaling and rotating to the active Auto Feature. For users of scanning devices, they can now show the point cloud data as a mesh display, selecting a pre-defined profile with one click from the portable scanning widget toolbar. The new point cloud noise reduction filter automatically removes any points too far away from the global cloud. The user can adjust the sensitivity of the filter, offering the right level for each task.
In addition to these new features aimed at enhancing the use of measuring arms, 2020 R1 offers improvements to existing features. The Protect feature, introduced in PC-DMIS 2019 R1 to help PC-DMIS users version control their measurement routines and add levels of traceability to their processes, has been enhanced with the addition of a new ‘Supervisor role’. Ideal for companies that follow a multi-level approval process, this feature enables restrictions on who has the authority to certify or reject measurement routine changes submitted by the programmer. Home Page was introduced in PC-DMIS 2019 R2, offering a new and more intuitive way for the user to manage and access their routines, with useful links to resources, information and forums on the PC-DMIS home screen. In 2020 R1 this has been improved by the addition of example measurement routines and preloaded best practice templates, as well as the capability for users to create and share their own templates.
“We are very pleased to release this latest version of our market-leading metrology software PC-DMIS,” says Ken Woodbine, Senior Product Manager – PC-DMIS Collaborative Solutions at Hexagon’s Manufacturing Intelligence division. “PC-DMIS 2020 R1 offers a number of features designed for our customers that use portable arms and scanners as well as building on some of our recent, innovative features. The improvements in this version continue to illustrate PC-DMIS’s extensive capabilities across the different types of metrology equipment and measurement technologies.”
User experience and capability improvements for portable arm and scanning measurements include:
- Guided Portable Execution – PC-DMIS will now guide the user through the measurement process, highlighting the measurement points with red dots, turning them green when the point is captured. The product graphic will scale and rotate automatically to give the best view.
- MSE User Defined Feature Widget Parameters – The user now has the flexibility to define their own parameters in the MSE feature widget prior to measurement, steamlining the process and saving time.
- Grid Mesh – The portable arm operator can now easily see areas which require more scan coverage by showing the point cloud data as a mesh display. The data can be reduced and stitched before the final mesh is created. The user can now select a pre-defined profile with one click from the portable scanning widget toolbar.
- Point Cloud Noise Reduction Filter – This new feature offers the operator the control to add a noise filter and adjust the level of the filter using a sliding bar. It automatically removes the points that outlie the global cloud, saving time and effort of deleting them manually.
- Point Cloud Laser Feature Extraction – Laser features can be quickly created and measured without any further operator interaction. The measured feature is now automatically extracted if a point cloud exists and it is aligned to the CAD model.
- Laser scan profiles – This offers a one click method to apply a set of real-time pre-configured laser scan settings. This saves the operator from having to manually change settings when scanning different types of parts.
- Laser 3D auto feature settings – This is a small tweak to make the operator’s life a little easier by reducing the need to edit laser auto features during or after measurement creation.
PC-DMIS 2020 R1 is the first of two major PC-DMIS releases scheduled for 2020, with continued service pack updates to ensure maximum reliability of the platform.