Metrology News E-Zine is updated daily providing the very latest in global news from the metrology industry around the world.
Metrology News showcases new product introductions, technology, innovation, people, customer applications, industry trends and sector dynamics. Make Metrology News your daily read.
Metrology News is your Online Quality Magazine
Wikipedia defines metrology as:
Metrology is defined by the International Bureau of Weights and Measures (BIPM) as “the science of measurement, embracing both experimental and theoretical determinations at any level of uncertainty in any field of science and technology.” The ontology and international vocabulary of metrology (VIM) is maintained by the Joint Committee for Guides in Metrology (JCGM), a group made up of eight international organisations – BIPM, IEC, IFCC, ISO, IUPAC, IUPAP, OIML, and ILAC.
Metrology is a broad field divided into three basic, overlapping activities:
- Definition of internationally accepted units of measurement
- Realisation of these units of measurement in practice
- Application of chains of traceability linking measurements made in practice to reference standards
Metrology also has three basic subfields that all use the three basic activities to varying degrees:
- Scientific or fundamental metrology
- Applied, technical or industrial metrology
- Legal metrology